Kansas Aerospace Engineering Schools

Aerospace engineering is an engineering specialty that can further be divided into two specialties: aircraft and spacecraft. If you want to pursue this degree in Kansas, you’re in luck—there are two schools that you can attend! There is one school in Wichita and one in Lawrence. Both schools offer Bachelor’s degrees and Master’s degrees. These are fairly large schools, since they are in two of the largest cities in Kansas. Kansas has an overall average tuition rate of $11,700 dollars. However, both schools are public schools, so tuition rates are different for residents and non-residents.

Once you have decided that a career in aerospace engineering is the right move for your future, you can start by choosing a school. You need at least a Bachelor’s degree to work in this field, so plan on a four-year commitment. You need to complete at least 120 credits, which works out to 15 credits per semester for eight semesters.

Your engineering curriculum is likely to be fairly demanding, since you’ll be working with very sensitive materials that require a great deal of knowledge. Fields covered include the research, construction, and testing of aerospace vehicles. You may take courses like Aerospace Structural Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Mechanics of Materials, and Flight Dynamics.

Don’t get too comfortable in your lecture hall—as a student, your time will be divided between lecture courses and hands-on lab courses. You can plan on spending 10 or more hours per week in the engineering lab, working with aerospace materials and figuring out how they function together.

There are often unique hands-on work opportunities, depending on which school you attend. For example, the University of Kansas gives you the chance to work in the Center for Remote Sensing of Ice Sheets.

We understand how important tuition rates and financial aid are when it comes to your school decision. Just like in any other state, tuition rates in Kansas depend on what school you attend and your residency status. At Wichita State University, tuition is about $3,400 per semester for residents and $7,400 for non-residents. At the University of Kansas, tuition is about $9,225 per year for residents and $23,900 for non-residents.

There are also many scholarships available, both on a local basis and a nationwide basis. The Kansas Water Environment Association offers scholarships of $750 to $1,250. You can also look through the huge list of scholarships provided by the National Society of Professional Engineers.

Once you have earned your engineering degree from an accredited Kansas school, the next step is getting your license from the Kansas State Board of Technical Professions. You have to pay a $60 application/examination fee when you send in your application. When you take and pass the Professional Engineer exam, you can then be licensed as a Professional Engineer.

Ongoing professional development should be a priority for you as a working engineer. Consider joining the Kansas Society of Professional Engineers. In addition to advocacy services, they provide continuing education courses that can help you learn more about advances in the field. You may attend seminars, classes, and round tables.

Scroll to Top