Michigan Computer Engineering Schools

If you want to start a career in computer engineering, the first step is attending one of the 18 engineering schools in Michigan. If you want to earn an Associate’s degree, there are 10 schools you can attend. There are 17 schools in the state with Bachelor’s degree programs. Twelve schools in the state offer Master’s degrees and 10 schools have PhD programs. There is one school in Michigan with a certificate program.

The shortest engineering programs result in a certificate or Associate’s degree. You can earn a certificate in about one year, and you can earn an Associate’s degree in about two years. A certificate requires 30 credits, and an Associate’s degree requires approximately 60 credits.

A Bachelor’s degree can prepare you for licensure as a professional engineer. You must earn 120 credits to get a Bachelor’s degree, which takes an average of four to five years. Some of the courses you may take include Assembly Language, Introduction to Data Structures, and Systems Programming.

You can earn a Master’s degree or Ph.D. if you want to start a career in research or teaching. You need to earn 30 credits in postgraduate classes to get a Master’s degree, which generally takes about two years. In order to get a Ph.D., you must write and defend a thesis on top of taking courses. This process generally takes an average of seven years.

Michigan has many schools with very affordable tuition. The statewide average cost of tuition is $10,500. Your costs may be lower if you attend a two-year school or qualify for federal financial aid.

Applying for scholarships can help you lower your educational costs. At the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, the Gloria Wille Bell and Carlos R. Bell Scholarship is awarded to engineering students every year. If you are in this scholarship, you can be awarded a significant amount of money. Another scholarship option is the Southeast Michigan ASCE Branch Scholarship. You can be awarded up to $1500 if you get this scholarship.

In order to work in Michigan as an engineer, you have to be licensed by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. In order to get your license, you must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam. After passing this exam, you can apply for your license and send in the required fee. This includes providing official school transcripts and evidence of any relevant experience.

Scroll to Top