Civil engineering in Texas can be a rewarding and fulfilling career. If you were the type of kid who enjoyed playing with legos and pushing the limits of your structures, then you are almost guaranteed to enjoy civil engineering.
When it comes to civil engineering, there are multiple things that a person will need in order to become one. The length of schooling will depend on the degree that a civil engineer chooses to get. There are three different degrees that a person can choose from:
- Associates Degree
- Masters Degree
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
Associates will only take you two years to complete. A masters degree can take up to 8 years to get, but the most common degree that you will usually see a civil engineer having is a Bachelor's of Science in Civil Engineering. This is typically a 4-5 year programs.
Some of the typical programs civil engineers can expect to take include:
- Chemistry I
- Applied Engineering Analysis I
- Engineering Economic Analysis
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Engineering Physics I and Laboratory
- Engineering Physics II and Laboratory
A civil engineer should have good problem solving capabilities, and they should have a good understanding of science and mathematics.
A civil engineer in Texas can expect to make between 40k-70k in an annual salary depending on the level of schooling completed, the licensing received and the experience in the field.
There are six different types of civil engineers:
- Structural: This civil engineer will analyze structures and determine if they are safe.
- Geotechnical: A geotechnical civil engineer can expect to take part in the construction of tunnels, mines, embankments, pipelines and structural foundations.
- Environmental: This engineer will solve environmental problems.
- Construction: This is probably the type most people think of, and this type will be responsible for the construction, design and planning of buildings.
- Water Resources: With a water resources engineer, a person can expect to develop solutions to improve the quality and quantity of water.
- Transportation: A transportation civil engineer will be involved with the design, construction and maintenance off all things having to do with transportation.
Civil engineering in Texas can be a lucrative business. Especially if you are doing something that you love doing, then there is nothing that would compare. This is a great field for anyone who has loved legos since they were younger.